Have you shared an embarrassing photo of yourself on the internet in your day? The busy man says they are not just a mere display of one’s individual sexual identity- they also play a role in how we experience our personal coherence as well as an increased sense of connection and impact.
What is the psychology behind the naked selfie?
There are benefits to taking a naked selfie, but there are also risks. Both mental and physical health can be improved by incorporating nudity into one’s daily routine, but caution should be exercised when doing so. Here are five reasons why people might want to take a naked selfie:
1. To feel liberated: Nudity can feel empowering. Taking a nude selfie can remind someone that they have control over their body and their sexuality.
2. To feel sexy: A person’s sense of self-esteem is based in part on the perceptions others have of them. Feeling sexy in a self-portrait can boost someone’s confidence.
3. To challenge normative body images: Many people believe that the ideal body type is not what it used to be, and that everyone is entitled to their own unique form of beauty. Taking a naked selfie gives people the opportunity to express themselves in an unabashed way.
4. To share an emotional experience: Sometimes nudity is used as a way to communicate emotions that might be difficult to put into words. Sharing a nude selfie can let others know how you’re feeling at a specific moment in your life.
5. To promote self-care: Nudity can help
Selfies and sexual activity
The psychology of taking a naked selfie has come under scrutiny in recent years. Reasons for people to take a nude self-portrait include forming an identity independent of external appearances, expressing oneself and building community around risque photos. In some cases, macabre selfies are created as part of a performance or art project. Despite the plethora of nude selfies circulating online, very little is known about their motivations or consequences.
There is now a body of research investigating the psychology behind self-portraits taken without clothes. One study found that people who post nude selfies experience elevated levels of self-esteem and body satisfaction. They believe that their naked bodies are more attractive and interesting than those who do not take naked selfies. However, this feeling is short-lived, because within days or weeks the majority of participants report feeling ashamed and embarrassed about their naked selfies.
Some experts suggest that people who enjoy posting nude selfies may be exhibiting narcissistic tendencies, which can lead to problems in personal relationships and other life areas. A study published in The Journal of Sex Research found that men who regularly post naked selfies have poorer relationships with their female partners than men who do not post nudies. The researchers believe that women are impressionable and
Selfies have become a mainstay in our social media feeds and, as with anything that becomes popular, there is always an element of exploitation involved. While exposing yourself for the mere Instagram likes may feel exhilarating at first, it’s important to remember that these images will be seen by hundreds or even thousands of people — some of whom may not be wholly respectable. If you are considering taking a naked selfie, make sure you’re comfortable with who sees it and what the implications might be.